April 26, 2006

One more confession

In addition to all my other "issues" I forgot to mention that I am allergic to alcohol.

Now, this doesn't stop me from drinking, it just makes for some interesting conversations. See, I get instantly red (think sunburn red) and blotchy all over after two sips. After two drinks my eyes start watering and itching, and I look full-on drunk. Cept I'm not.

Sometimes I get sick if I've had too much, more like respiratory issues and stomach cramps but it's hit or miss.

Here is the dilemma. I'm going to Austin to imbibe. But, with the heat being what it is in Texas, and the fact that I already suffer this dilemma, I probably won't imbibe much if at all.

See the problem worsens with heat. But, oh, who am I kidding . . .

So, see ya'll in Austin, I'll be the fat chick with the pseudo sunburn and the glassy eyes. . .

Posted by Oddybobo at April 26, 2006 09:10 AM | TrackBack

First, you can't be allergic to the alcohol itself. The molecule is too small. As some fermentation does take place in the intestine, you'd probably have severe intestinal damage by now. I'd bet good money it's not the alcohol.

If this is an allergic reaction at all, drinking anything that provokes it is potentially life-threatening. At some point, this could trigger anaphylactic shock, which is not a pleasant way to spend an evening, assuming you live.

This may not be an allergic reaction at all, or if it is an allergic reaction, it's a reaction to something else in the alcoholic drink. I would point out that Vodka or dilluted Everclear (>190 proof alcohol -- may not be avaliable to most people in Pennsylvania) might be much safer, but I would first hope you get checked out by your doctor.

Posted by: Rob at April 26, 2006 10:07 AM

You are correct, it isn't an allergy as in full-blown, but it is an atypical skin reaction and as it occurs regardless of the type of alcoholic beverage I drink and I've had them all. We have, for simplicities sake, simply chalked it up as an alcohol reaction most commonly referred to as 'oriental flushing syndrome'.

Though it isn't a full-blown food allergy, I do experience some of the same symptoms one would experience with an allergy such as itching and puffiness and nausea, heart palpitations, dizziness etc . . . , however when monitoring my intake, I am able to avoid all but the skin reaction.

Posted by: oddybobo at April 26, 2006 10:51 AM

... be careful in Austin then...

Posted by: Eric at April 26, 2006 02:20 PM

no shit, what eric said!!

Posted by: shoe at April 26, 2006 06:02 PM

I have the same problem hun, after an anaphylatic shock I stopped drinking. Benedryl will help if you take a couple of doses before. Start now!

Posted by: livey at April 26, 2006 07:52 PM

Hang around Bou... she won't be drinking either.

Posted by: vw bug at April 26, 2006 07:59 PM

Yup. I'm stone cold sober. I drink not a drop. I'll be the chick with brown hair holding a bottle of water!

Posted by: Bou at April 27, 2006 07:16 AM

Hey, I won't be drinking, either.

Posted by: Walrilla at April 27, 2006 09:47 AM

HAVE A WONDERFUL TRIP!!! :) Yay you, going to the big blogmeet. Say hi to Eric for me (Straight White Guy).

Posted by: trouble at April 28, 2006 12:40 PM

Hope you enjoyed your visit to Texas. It was nice to "meet you at the meet".


Posted by: Nancy at April 29, 2006 09:50 PM

It was nice meetin' you. I looked 'round for you in the ATL once I was finished smokin'. Wanted to say good-bye a little better then I did when I ducked into the smoke shack. If you're ever headed my way, give me a heads up and we'll hook up if you'd like.

Posted by: RedNeck at May 1, 2006 12:37 AM

Oddy!!! was a pleasure to meet you! I don't know if you remember me...I was the guy that wasn't drinking! ;)

Posted by: marcus at May 1, 2006 01:12 AM